RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lightbars!

CXT_180 is offline Veteran Member CXT_180 is on a distinguished road

Lightbars!

My department currently has all strobe lightbars. One with Wig-Wag TD's. WE are supposedly getting a new halogen one. What do you guys think? I want LED!

telcom911 is offline Junior Member telcom911

I don't even have wig-wags on my headlights

I have an MX 7000 by Code 3. I think this light bar is working on either its 7th or 8th car. I know it has been here longer then I have, and probably will still be here when I retire. :D

The city is making us get a couple of Intrepids in the next vehicle purchase, Haven't bought a car from the local Chrysler dealer in a long time and apparently need to spread the wealth, No one is real excited about the cars, but as of now we are getting all new equipment for them, so maybe we will end up with some of those there fancy light bars, we can alwas hope :cool:

CXT_180 is offline Veteran Member CXT_180 is on a distinguished road
    The lightbar we are getting is a Code-3 excalubur halogen with arrowstick in rear i/o flashers. Features 2 hi-speed 55W rotators, 2 std. speed 55W rotators, 3 diamond mirrors, front & rear flashing lights, 2 intersection sweeping lights, 2 alley lights, and 2 takedown lights. The reason we are switching is that the power supply in the lightbar on "my" patrol car is going bad. The seargent thinks that this lightbar will be more visible than the current strobe lightbar. It will also come with the "pursuit slide" switch which activetes all the emergency lights with the flip of one switch. We will put this in the other car, since "mine" already has this switch. Oh, and we are getting this lightbar at no expense. *edit* why are you not excited about the Impala's ? */edit*

telcom911 is offline Junior Member telcom911
    Well, I do not like Impalas either, I'm upwords of 6'6 and even getting into the Crown Vics is a pain, the Impalas are worse. The new car we have ordered is the new Dodge Intrepid police package. The specs are even a bit smaller then the Impalla, Over an inch less head room and 3/8 less hip room, hey when your squezing in every 1/4 inch makes a big diffrence. I see messed up hair, sore knees and backpain in the my future.

At least the Intrepid will have some legs on it, tops ouit at 10 mph faster then the Impalas, and 8 faster then the CV.

Lfpdlieu302 is offline You talkin to me? Lfpdlieu302 has a reputation beyond repute Lfpdlieu302 has a reputation beyond repute Lfpdlieu302 has a reputation beyond repute Lfpdlieu302 has a reputation beyond repute Lfpdlieu302 has a reputation beyond repute Lfpdlieu302 has a reputation beyond repute Lfpdlieu302 has a reputation beyond repute Lfpdlieu302 has a reputation beyond repute Lfpdlieu302 has a reputation beyond repute Lfpdlieu302 has a reputation beyond repute Lfpdlieu302 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    try the tomar strobe bars, thats what we use. they have to be the brightest bars i have ever seen!!
    I do what I can do when I can do it.

nclawdog2001 is offline Junior Member nclawdog2001
    Tomar's are the brightest strobe bars on the market.

We use Whelen 8-head bars, 4-front, 4-rear.

don't go LED, they are not bright at all, I have seen first hand the LED strobes and they are not bright.

I don't like the looks of rotators, they are to big, cause to much wind noise at high speeds, and they are just a plain eye sore on a car.
    "When a police officer is killed, it is not an agency that loses an officer - it is an entire nation."

Flux is offline Junior Member Flux
    Even though I don't have a lightbar on my car (I cant unless its completely blue) I have grow to love LED's. I have a blue single LED DashKing in front of my rear view that I use when responding (it splits itself and has 20 flash patters). Not only is it noiseless, it is bright as hell!! Cars are moving over 100feet down the road and stopping on the other side of the street. Mind you this is only one light Im using. I am also planning on purchasing two amber LED strobes of the same make and model to put in the rear dash of my car. I highly suggest purchasing the lightbar for your cruisers because if you see what my one light can do, imagine what 8 can do on a lightbar. A couple other reasons I suggest them is a) the lack of noise they produce, b) they are clear and concealing when they are off, c)they are wayyy smaller than normal strobe lightbars, and d) they use up a fraction of the power needed to run a conventional strobe bar.

Flux
    Orangetown Fire Co. #1
    Hosing Down Hell Since 1834
    Nyack Fire Department
    NFD

nclawdog2001 is offline Junior Member nclawdog2001
    The LED strobes I've seen in use are worthless, the department that bought them are now selling them (only after 6 months of use) because they are not bright enough.

The slimline strobe bars are just as thin as the LED's are ;)
    "When a police officer is killed, it is not an agency that loses an officer - it is an entire nation."

papabaer is offline Junior Member papabaer
    Here in Germany, all police cars have the same Lightbar.
    They are all from Hella and you can choose rotators or strobes.
    The Vans have only three beacons most time.

I collect american Police Cars, and
    my Suburban have two Whelen Edge on the top (a "49 on the front and a "21 on the back)
    The big one have ten Strobes (six on the front, 4 on the rear) and the small one 6 Strobes ( two on the front and 4 on the rear)
    My 9C1 has a Vision on it, the best Halogen Lightbar I ever seen!!!

nick10-7 is offline Junior Member nick10-7
    I love the new lightbars they are putting on our 03's. They are Whelen 48" LFL Patriot Strobe/Halogen/LED lightbars. They have 8 strobes, takedowns, alleys, flashing takedowns and alleys, 4 rear LED flashers (2 blue & 2 amber) and 2 blue front LEDs. They are BRIGHT! Click the link below for a pic, be patient...its big.

http://www.geocities.com/policecruis...talightbar.jpg
    -=Nick=-
    Post #2

dizza is offline Veteran Member dizza is infamous around these parts dizza is infamous around these parts dizza is infamous around these parts dizza is infamous around these parts dizza is infamous around these parts dizza is infamous around these parts dizza is infamous around these parts
    Supporting Member L2
    Our city is using a Code3 MX700, but with the "D" rotators in them.. Things are really bright in day and at night. I was amazed at how far I could see one of those things coming at me. Anyone seen those in action?

David

gdowkpc is offline Maintaining the Vigil gdowkpc has a reputation beyond repute gdowkpc has a reputation beyond repute gdowkpc has a reputation beyond repute gdowkpc has a reputation beyond repute gdowkpc has a reputation beyond repute gdowkpc has a reputation beyond repute gdowkpc has a reputation beyond repute gdowkpc has a reputation beyond repute gdowkpc has a reputation beyond repute gdowkpc has a reputation beyond repute gdowkpc has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Portland Police having been using the Code 3 MX-7000 for quite awhile, but are upgrading to the clear lenses (when illuminated, one side turns blue and the opposite is red ---- very cool). The outer covering lens has always been clear. I am referring to an internal lens encapsulating the bulb.

The flashers are LED's and are EXTREMELY bright. We also use LED deck lights in the front grills. Wig wags are in the back. White strobes are in the front turn signals to assist in intersection clearing.

Portland tested strobes and here is the reasoning for going with the MX-7000: Imagine you are at a crash scene on a curvy freeway. Its the middle of the night and its raining. Which is going to allow the driver to see the lights and react faster as they come around the curve? Eye tests have proven that it is very difficult for the human eye to track a strobe becasue of the on-again off-again patterns. Rotating lights always have a glow to them.

Second: In our tests, the strobes were very irritating when another officer was following. This proved dangerous when in pursuit. Night blindness was also as issue, especially when using the car as cover.

The upgraded MX-7000 doesn't use the old mirror system to amplify the flash, so you don't get that blinding and sudden flash. You get more constant light and is easier on the eyes.

Current road tests are encouraging. 50 cars are using the new bars as opposed to 250 cars still equipped with the standard MX-7000. Officers are actually reporting marked better visibility and better reactions from drivers. There have been increased benefit in every category, except that they are expensive.

The LED lights that augment the bar also use 1/3 less power. Our cars were burning through alternators like crazy, but no longer. The strain is markedly less.

As a note, we tested strobe wigwags and found that the standard wig wags were much brighter and easier to track. The only strobes we have are in the front turn signals, and they have been great.

Sorry to the strobe guys. I agree that they are cool looking, they just aren't as effective and safe as standard bulb systems, with the exception of the white ones we have inthe front turn signals.(opinion).

I think they same theory would apply to the all LED lightbar systems (on-again off-again).
    Last edited by gdowkpc; 05-28-03 at 04:59 PM.

dizza is offline Veteran Member dizza is infamous around these parts dizza is infamous around these parts dizza is infamous around these parts dizza is infamous around these parts dizza is infamous around these parts dizza is infamous around these parts dizza is infamous around these parts
    Supporting Member L2
    Those are the "D" Rotators I was talking about... the light bar looks clear at all angles when its off. No sign of any color.. but when you turn it on. Wow! The cars are hard to spot when the bar is off, a lot better than having a huge lightbar with colored lenses all over the place.

David

gdowkpc is offline Maintaining the Vigil gdowkpc has a reputation beyond repute gdowkpc has a reputation beyond repute gdowkpc has a reputation beyond repute gdowkpc has a reputation beyond repute gdowkpc has a reputation beyond repute gdowkpc has a reputation beyond repute gdowkpc has a reputation beyond repute gdowkpc has a reputation beyond repute gdowkpc has a reputation beyond repute gdowkpc has a reputation beyond repute gdowkpc has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Did you get the LED option too?
    In time we hate that which we often fear.
    Visit nwham.com for accurate Ham Repeater information.

Supporting Member L2
    I don't work for the agency (yet), they have halogen flashers in the front bottom, and strobes in the corners on front. I believe they have an LED arrowstick on the bottom in the rear of the lightbar. They have corner strobes in the turn signals, wigwags for the headlights, red/blue halogen flashers on the pushbar and strobes in the rear brakes.

David

You can totally notice the difference in the bar in the foreground vs. the one in the background.

16. This ad will disappear if you login